There are so many things I would like to commit to paper (or the Interwebs, I suppose), but I am pressed for time yet again. I will say that as I knock off a few tasks (and finalizing the Fringe accounting was a big one), it gets easier to do other things, including whatever I am supposed to be up to at work.
Last week there were quite a few visits from contractors. I think Friday we had the most people come in, replacing the furnace and then the water heater, though certainly Monday was close. Monday morning a couple of guys came by to clean out the ducts. They hadn't been quite clear on what they needed to do, which included blowing forced air down every vent in the house, even in the upstairs bedrooms, and then running this plastic tube out to their truck. It definitely felt like a scene out of Brazil!
More importantly, I didn't realize that the front door would need to be open, and I didn't have time to track down the cats and put them in a cage. I was definitely freaking out, though ultimately we found Rho hiding in a corner in the study and Toby was hiding in an upstairs closet. Then there was another moment, where we knew where Toby was but Rho had moved to a different hiding place. But they both turned up.*
Then there was a lot of back and forth over whether the insurer would sign off on the contents list on Monday. In the end, we agreed on the items on the list, but I would do my best to get the value updated and back to him in a couple of days (which I still haven't managed to do but it is close), and he agreed to sign off on the removal order. Then I checked and someone did show up with a truck around 3 pm and cleared off the deck and took the refrigerator out of the basement. (I was a little worried the refrigerator wasn't on the list, but it is there.) It's getting a bit easier to accept the loss now that I don't have to look at it.
Also, I had really wanted to throw a BBQ for the Fringe cast, and I had set the date for Tues. So I was a bit panicked that I would have to push it back yet again if the deck was occupied with all my stuff. Anyway, it all worked out, and I ran off to get more food and drink and some charcoal at the mall.
The BBQ was pretty fun, though people actually showed up early, and I really wasn't ready. I may discuss this a bit more down the line. I have just finished the accounts, and we made $5300 from ticket sales and the costs were almost exactly $4300, not counting the stipend I guaranteed the actors. Taking that into account, I lost $300, but really this is so much better than the last Fringe outing. I might even be able to get $50 for the table I bought, bringing the loss to $250, which is almost nothing these days.
I've been making decent progress on the scanning of stuff and re-ripping a bunch of data CDs that were salvaged from the wreckage. It's a bit much though, and my brain makes it hard to move on to the next thing until these tasks are done. Still, I am finding some ways to entertain myself in the meantime.
Last weekend was incredibly busy. On Sat. I took the GO train to Stratford to see Guys and Dolls. It rained most of the day, but it was a fairly light rain and it didn't really spoil my trip, aside from not seeing Art in the Park. I did, however, see a swan on the river, which I haven't seen in years.
I took the bus back, managing to finish Station Eleven on the way.
Sunday was a trip out to Sobey Stadium near York University to see Wang Chung and Howard Jones. I'll write more about that in a separate post.
I am probably going to see Coyote vs. Acme tonight over at Carlton. Then Sat., I think I am going to bail on the work picnic and go out to Vaughan instead to see The Odyssey in IMAX before it is too late. Sunday I am off to Niagara-on-the-Lake to see a Shaw play. Unfortunately, the reviews make it sound like the director just doesn't know what he is doing (or perhaps more accurately kind of resents the prominence Shaw gets at his namesake festival). I think there's a pretty good chance I will finish up The Adventures of Amina Al-Sirafi on the way there and back.
I'm a bit torn between seeing Sheep in the Box at Paradise and going to see squeeze out at the venue formerly known as Budweiser Stage. It's not selling that well and there are lots of tickets for $30 each, though they are uncovered seats and there is a 40% chance of rain. I think I'll check again over the weekend to decide for sure.
Then next Wed., I am planning a second BBQ (and final one of the season) for work colleagues and former colleagues. It looks like the weather may cooperate. Anyway, I am truly late and need to get a bunch of other things done today.
* Interestingly, I was outside late at night last night, checking out the lunar eclipse. It was cool (and the skies were clear for once!), though I should have gone back a second time but fell asleep instead. Anyway, I hadn't remembered to close the screen door, so when I opened the door this morning to air the place out, the cats were able to escape to the back yard. They didn't go particularly far and came back in, but I don't really plan on letting them be outdoor cats, as much as they seem to want that.



No comments:
Post a Comment