Friday, June 6, 2014

Inspired by "Art"

In this case I am talking about actual paintings and not the play Art by Yasmina Reza.

Not always, but increasingly, museums in North America have rooms to encourage the creativity, not only of children, but of adult visitors.  The Baltimore Museum of Art had such a room.  Even though I was in a bit of a hurry to get back to the hotel and the conference, I decided I would add something.

In the previous room, I had enjoyed and been a bit inspired by Philip Guston's The Oracle:

Philip Guston, The Oracle, 1974

Thus, I quickly sketched out a bit of a response to it.  This is what I came up with:


Guston was known for all these legs scattered-about, almost looking like what you would see in a charnel house (or given the resemblance to horseshoes, the leftovers from some kind of abattoir or rendering plant).

Philip Guston, Green Sea, 1976
I probably have seen Green Sea on display at the Art Institute of Chicago, but for sure I saw Monument at the Tate Modern on one of my visits.

Philip Guston, Monument, 1976

There is also a bit of a reference to the graffiti Kilroy was Here, which was prevalent in the 1940s and 1950s (and actually figures in Tennessee Williams' Camino Real).  While the meme had faded badly, it still was in common parlance in the early 1980s.  I haven't heard it at all in the last 10-15 years.  It is possible that Styx killed it off with Mr. Roboto...

The other one was a bit of a slow-burner.  I had visited the Walters Art Museum and been quite taken by Paris kiosk by Jean BĂ©raud.  Here it is in its magnet-form:



More on Paris Kiosk and the artist can be read here.

Anyway, I have seen quite a few unusual posters in downtown Vancouver these past few weeks, and I decided that a bit of Photo-shopping was in order.

So (with apologies), here is Paris Kiosk 2014:





No comments:

Post a Comment