Thursday, February 5, 2015

Forecast for Feb.

We managed to get through a fairly tough phone call with a client yesterday, and now the way is cleared to get done with this project.  I have been extremely distracted worrying about closing out too many other projects, and now I can focus.  So that is definitely a positive outcome.

However, I am still working too late in the office and too frequently taking work home, i.e. virtually every night.  The laptop is my albatross.  I think even if I don't get much accomplished, my inner brain wants to punish my body and keep reminding it that the only way to lighten the literal load is to get through the work.

It would have been tight, but I could have just made it over to get in a few laps at the pool, but I couldn't find my gym pass.  After it was too late, it turned up and I have now attached it to my key ring, so this won't happen again (well, misplacing the pass -- I'll surely be working late again).  It's a shame, since I missed it and Monday I was at Sing-for-Your-Supper, and that's it for lap swimming for this week.  The hours really do suck when you look over the entire week.  I may or may not have more to say on this subject.

Anyway, today was spent scrambling to get this wire out and finding out that the funds wouldn't actually hit when they were supposed to because this is an international wire.  Obviously, this is frustrating, but it won't derail the deal.  I'll have to figure out a better way closer to closing time.  So this week and early next week, I'll sit down with my mortgage broker and lock something in, and discuss particulars with a lawyer.  On the whole, things look pretty good on the housing market front, compared to where I thought I would be.  So that is a major positive that I will have to hold onto when things are bringing me down, either at work or dealing with my children when they are getting on my nerves.  (Just not having to go off to open houses and keep talking to my realtor (as nice as she is) will be a major plus.)

I haven't really had enough sleep, but I should be able to recharge a bit this weekend (and I'll probably avoid the Basquiat exhibit at AGO as it will be a madhouse, whereas next weekend the crowds will be much lighter).  At that point, I'll decide on what I want to write for Sing-for-Your-Supper or if I concentrate on longer work that doesn't quite fit into their format.

The reading is coming along pretty well, but I haven't been able to read much when I am not on the subway or streetcar, if that makes sense.  Sometimes I do have the time to read in the evenings, but I wasn't able to over the past week or so.  Looking forward, I should be able to devote just a bit more time to things that I want to do, rather than things I have to do.

On the arts front things are definitely looking up with several great concerts and plays coming up.  In fact, because the house came in so much less than we expected, I will probably add one or two events in February, though nothing outrageously priced.  I'll probably go check out Les Liasons Dangereuses over at RedOne, not because I particularly like the play, but I'm trying to connect more with the ensemble and see if this is a place that might eventually stage one or more of my pieces.  My guess is this isn't quite the right place, but knowing them will lead to something/someplace else that might work.  I believe I already indicated how important it is for writers to get out and see how their work does among different kinds of audiences, since it is so easy to think your work is brilliant when you are the only one that ever sees it.  Some of those musings are here.

I guess the bottom line is that I am feeling guardedly optimistic about Feb. and March, and I will try to build on that (while the feeling lasts).

No comments:

Post a Comment