Friday, October 5, 2018

Back on the Bike

Still a lot of fairly painful healing going on.  My vision is more or less back to normal, though I found while reading on the subway, it was still easier to close one eye.  There is still a bit too much pressure behind my eyes, and I am surely not getting enough sleep.  I should be able to sleep in a fair bit this weekend, and then on Monday as well (since we aren't having any family over for Canadian Thanksgiving).

I put in a full day of work on Thurs., then went over to the bike shop at the end of the day.  I picked out a new helmet.  I found that I wasn't super steady on the bike going down Jones.  In part I didn't have a separate bike bag.  But mostly the pavement still sucks, even in the bike lane, and I could feel all the bumps very intensely.  I found I had to keep swerving to avoid pot holes.  In addition, my hands are still quite weak and braking was a challenge.  Since Jones is steep, that meant riding the brakes a lot.  The only upside to the memory loss (surrounding the accident) is that it is so complete I have no idea what happened and am not all that fussed about getting back on the bike, whereas I would probably be more "gun shy" if I remembered the accident and falling off the bike.  The limiting factor is that I don't want to try to ride for any significant distance until my hands have healed up more, since it just won't be safe to try to go out before that.

No comments:

Post a Comment