Friday, February 15, 2019

You're So Wrong

No, not another post about the fake National Emergency to the South...

I was at work listening to a co-worker telling me his tale of woe.  He was moving from one cubical to another on the other side of the office, and he had put all his things together and then they were thrown out.  This sounded pretty terrible, but when I probed it turned out that he had put everything into the blue recycle bin -- and then left it overnight!  He wasn't even sure if he had left it on the floor, or put it on top of his desk.*  He was obviously upset and had lost some things he cared about, but I simply could not commiserate, particularly when he said he was trying to file a report against the staff!  First off, it isn't really the job of the cleaning staff to understand when things are there to be recycled and when they are "obviously" just resting in the blue bin.  He had some elaborate argument that they should have known no one would be recycling perfectly good office supplies, but really what did he think would happen when he left them in the blue bin (for no apparent good reason given that there are other boxes around the office)?  And was he that exhausted that he couldn't just make the move that evening, given it wasn't even a partly large or heavy bin?  This seems like a clear case of not really thinking things through and then trying to blame others for one's poor decisions.

I'm actually glad I won't have to be around him for a while, since he kept trying to get me on side, and finally I said to his face that he was in the wrong.  Pretty uncomfortable...

* One thing about this episode that I regret is that I didn't see his stuff in the blue bin (I suppose he did this after I left work), since I would either have moved it myself or put it into a cardboard box, as I would have known his approach was going to lead to disaster.  Oh well.  It can't be helped now.

No comments:

Post a Comment