Wednesday, November 6, 2019

No Hamlet

I'm sure I am just being an old fuddy-duddy, but I am quite disappointed in the casting of Hamlet at Stratford to the point that I won't go after all.  First off, I can't tell if they are going for a gender-bent Hamlet or just an extremely androgynous one, but either way it doesn't work for me.  Second, I have very strong doubts about the Othello-like vibe when casting Andre Sills as Hamlet's father yet then a white actor as Claudius, his brother.

They are already doing an unconventional take on Hamlet next season (Hamlet-911), so I don't see why they can't do a more traditional Hamlet in the Festival Theatre.  In any case, I won't be going, and I'll just take my son to a different production one of these days.  I guess that is enough ranting for one day.

Edit: I did go and see this, and I didn't like it at all, though at least they weren't playing Hamlet as a female character.  I only just realized that I had heard about this production in 2019, but it was pushed all the way to 2022 due to COVID!

No comments:

Post a Comment