Thursday, January 30, 2020

Quick Takes (early 2020)

I really meant to get a few posts out, but time gets away from me.  (I've almost entirely given up on book reviewing, but I suppose I'll make another push in February...)

First, there is only one weekend left to see the Romare Bearden exhibit in Atlanta.  I will be checking it out and reviewing it shortly.  The bulk of the exhibit then moves on to Cincinnati, though there are a few pieces only on display in Atlanta.

There is an interesting photography exhibit, A Handful of Dust, that just opened up at the Ryerson Image Centre.  It runs through early April 2020, and I'll probably drop by again once or twice.

It looks like Picasso (the Blue Period) is coming to the AGO this summer, which will be quite a block-buster.  I'm really looking forward to that.

There is a lot of theatre on the horizon, including Kushner's Caroline or Change and Lady Sunrise at Factory Theatre.  I'll probably check out the current show at Coal Mine, though I just missed out on the previews.  I'd like to try to get rush tickets, but they usually are sold out (and it is a small theatre).

I need to decide tonight on when I am going to Stratford and if I am going to the Shaw Festival at all this summer.  The early bird ticket prices are ending soon.

Tonight I also need to recharge the battery on the iPod (yes I am still using it) and free up some space on my phone.  But otherwise, I am basically ready to go.  It's a quick trip to Atlanta, and I don't need to bring too much along.

I recently managed to find one copy of New Worlds Anthology #6.  It's much rarer than 1-5, which I tracked down pretty easily on eBay.   (I found this one through Bookfinder.com, oddly enough.)  While the price was certainly higher than I wanted to pay, it wasn't completely ridiculous (given the relative scarcity of this issue), and this way I don't have to wait for Dean Motter to get around to collecting the Mr. X material from these issues.

There's a lot of political stuff on my mind these days, but I'll refrain for now.  There's time enough to rant later on.

No comments:

Post a Comment