Saturday, February 29, 2020

East Side Follies

Every so often stuff happens here (esp. at Gerrard Square) that makes me realize the East Side isn't that far removed from the rundown area that George Walker used to write about.  I still remember being in the discount electronics store on Gerrard when someone came in with a TV from Walmart (still in the box) and asked if the clerks wanted to buy it from her.  Pretty smooth...

Just a few days ago, I was heading over the bridge to the gym when I heard a lot of shouting.  As I came into the parking lot, I saw three security guards surrounding a woman near the exit of the grocery story, not letting her into the parking lot.  Apparently, they were waiting for the police to show up, as the days are pretty much gone when you can make a citizen's arrest and make it stick.  Anyway, she kept shouting at them to back off, finally saying she would pull down her pants and scream that she was being raped.  Quite the drama queen.  It was certainly disappointing in seeing just how long it was taking the police to arrive.  I managed to avoid getting caught up in that dispute, fortunately.

That same evening, after I was done with the gym, I stopped and bought a few things at the grocery store.  The screaming woman was long gone, but there was some kind of creepy guy who had been hanging around for 3 hours.  The cashiers thought he perhaps had locked his keys in the car and needed money for an Uber.  Anyway, it was making them all uncomfortable, and they were thinking of calling the police yet again.

As I was getting ready to go over the bridge, I saw someone drive up, then head up the bridge.  It probably was nothing, but it seemed just a bit too suspicious to me (given it would make a lot more sense to park in the parking lot on the other side of the bridge) and it was dark by this point, so I went the long way around.

The neighbourhood has come a long way, but it probably could stand a bit more gentrification...

No comments:

Post a Comment