Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Shortened Fringe Festival and Other Artistic Ventures

It has been such a strange artistic season.  While it probably wouldn't been the best plan in the world, it's moderately likely that the outdoor theatre (Driftwood, Theatre in the Ruff, etc.) could have gone forward, whereas the indoor stuff is definitely endangered.  It is possible that in Stage 3 (which parts of Ontario are approaching, though I suspect Toronto has close to a month to go) that indoor theatre with extensive spacing can go forward, though maybe that will be Stage 4.  In lots of ways, this does seem a lot like where we were in mid Feb. though we know a bit more about dealing with the virus and masks will be mandatory for the foreseeable future.  While it certainly wouldn't be comfortable, I'd probably be willing to return to the gym if we all wore some types of masks (and wiped down equipment more), though I can't really see this working with swimming.

Anyway, the Toronto Fringe was basically cancelled though a small group of video artists pulled together to put their work up.  A program can be accessed here.  One thing that I had a little trouble with is that each phase of this year's Fringe is only available for 72 hours, so you really have to act fast.  On the flip side, you buy a pass to a phase rather than to a specific show and then can watch more than one thing.  This was nice to find out, since the show I was most interested in turned out to only be 8 minutes long!  But once in, I watched a stand-up comic's show, as well as A Perfect Bowl of Pho (the lockdown version).  I'd actually seen a Bowl of Pho as part of a double-header at Factory Theatre (all the way back in Feb. 2019 -- when the world was only somewhat off-kilter).  I believe it was 45 minutes then, and it is 27 minutes now, but the main songs and bits are all still in place.  Unfortunately for you, this phase has just ended (I had to rush to watch Monday evening as the clock was ticking).  I didn't see anything in Phase 1, as I just didn't understand the schedule.  The most interesting presentation (a puppet show with Shakey-Shake involving Lear) will likely turn up again at a future Fringe or on Youtube or something (hopefully).  I am looking forward to catching a few shows in the 3rd and 4th phases of the Fringe.

SummerWorks is very slowly ramping up.  At the moment, they are collaborating with Outside the March on their telephone-based theatre.  However, I already listened to one of these adventures a couple months back.  I'm not sure I would sign up again.

I mentioned that the Royal Conservatory of Music thinks they have a viable plan to put on concerts at about 35% capacity.  I have a rescheduled concert in October, and we'll see if they can move forward.  I suspect Tafelmusik might try something similar.  However, the Toronto Symphony Orchestra threw everyone for a loop by announcing today that they are cancelling their entire 2020/2021 season!  At this point, I have so much unused credit with them and no prospects to using it.  (It's very reminiscent of the airline industry.)  I honestly am not sure how they can recover from 1.5 seasons completely shut down, as a lot of people will just migrate to other events and more or less forget to see if they are even around in late 2021.  So that was a pretty huge blow.

Still no idea if or when live theatre is coming back. I know my wife will want to go to the rescheduled Hamilton, though if they can only fill the house to 35% capacity, it may be impossible to get tickets.

I think this weekend, I'll drop by the AGO and then the following weekend, I'll plan on biking over to the MOCA and seeing if the Sarah Sze installation is still up.

So a lot still up in the air and no question there are still a lot of cancellations and disappointments, but it does feel like some things are trying to return to normal at some level.  I'll post more as things develop.

Edit (7/10): It looks like Factory and Theatre Pass Muraille have essentially no idea what they are going to do and have no indication at all of future plans on their websites.  Soulpepper and Canadian Stage and Crow's Theatre basically seem to think at some point they'll go back to live in-person theatre with reduced capacity and are proceeding on that basis.  I only found out this evening that Tarragon is considerably more pessimistic and has cancelled all in-person events for the 2020/21 season (just like the TSO) and will pivot to an on-line version of Orestes and will be doing radio plays for the rest of the season.  Some of those will surely be worth checking out. Like everyone else, I am just so tired of all this disruption and we really have only started seeing how disruptive this will be for the foreseeable future.

Edit (7/11): In what is likely to be the first of many theatre companies going under, Solar Stage just announced they were packing it in.  While they mostly put on children's theatre, they were starting to do one adult show a season, and I saw them put on a solid performance of Caryl Churchill's A Number.  Very unfortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment