Friday, February 12, 2021

It's Cold Outside

I guess we got spoiled with a fairly mild Jan.  I was expecting much more snow.  Even now with several weeks of cold temperatures we don't have all that much snow and only a few patches of black ice on roads and virtually none on the sidewalks.  I'm sure walking around was much more treacherous last winter.  Indeed, both Chicago and the East Coast (New York/Boston) have had way more snow than Toronto has gotten.

I'm not complaining exactly, but last weekend I had planned on biking downtown.  It was so incredibly cold and windy!  I made it to the library to pick up a couple of books (still running their curbside pickup) and was really suffering.  It was so clear I wouldn't make it all the way in.  So I turned around and sulked the rest of the day.  I'm pretty sure the story will be the same this weekend.  It does seem as though the weather is conspiring to keep me tied to the house at least until the 22nd when Toronto most likely will officially move back to the grey zone.  I'm hoping that March will be somewhat more like last fall, though I don't think a lot of things will be open.

At the moment the cases are definitely moving in the right direction, though the new variants are starting to move through the community.  Also, Canada's vaccine program is in shambles because of massive shortages of the vaccines produced over in Europe, which is just so depressing.

Next week the kids are back in school, which will hopefully be a good thing for them, but it is certainly a gamble.  I just don't agree with those that say we have to stay in lockdown until the cases are driven down next to zero or everyone is vaccinated.  The social costs, particularly for children, are just too high.

No comments:

Post a Comment