Tuesday, June 22, 2021

Ethiopian Longings

While there actually is a good Ethiopian place just north of me on Danforth and Jones, it's going to be a while before I can eat inside or feel comfortable doing so (and their patio leaves a lot to be desired).  So I tried take-out, but it was quite a mess because of the way they packed the food, so I probably won’t go back for a while.  Anyway, I had a hankering for Ethiopian food, so I decided to give the home-cooking option a go and make two recipes (this morning in fact). 

Misir wat -- this one turned out really well.  I added some spinach into the mix.


Green beans and potato recipe. I’m not as sure about this one. The potatoes clearly need to cook at least 10 minutes longer than the recipe called for.  Also, I think the portions are off a bit (not enough tomato relative to potato) and I couldn't get the spice mix right. I don't think I'll make this again.


On the way home from work, I stopped by an Ethiopian restaurant at Queen and Parliament.  They actually wouldn't sell me the injera all by itself!  A bit annoying, but I might try their take-out next month.  They did point me to a grocery store around the corner at Shuter and Parliament where they sold injera and niter kibbeh (though I didn't get any of this this time).

I really liked the misir wat and will make that again, but I need to pair it with something, most likely this yellow split pea recipe, which I'll try soon.  (I wouldn't bother with this one.  Too much turmeric and not enough other spices...)

No comments:

Post a Comment