Tuesday, November 16, 2021

Graffiti Bridge

There is a pedestrian bridge near my house.  It is routinely tagged up with all kinds of scribbles.  During the pandemic, many of the messages got more political, which is hardly a surprise. Also not a surprise is when a message appeared that was supportive of Black Lives Matter, it was taken down fairly quickly.  

There seems to be one very active tagger in the neighbourhood, and this appears to be his main mark.


I've seen it at bus stops and telephone booths (the few that are left).*  One night he got super ambitious and tagged the windows of an abandoned shop on Pape Ave.


A few weeks back, he put up some new marks (I'm positive it's the same guy).  The first one is quite intricate, but I think I like the cat with big eyes a bit more.  



Supposedly, this bridge will be replaced with a underpass tunnel under the train tracks, assuming the Lakeshore East line is electrified in a few years.  I mentioned this to my daughter, and she said she didn't think she'd like that, though I don't know if it was losing the view of downtown Toronto that bothered her or something else.  I guess I'll believe it when I see them digging the tunnel...

* And on a newspaper box!  How boss is that!?  (I mean to even find one that still exists.)


No comments:

Post a Comment