Saturday, March 11, 2023

Short Notice-The Baltimore Waltz

I don't have time for a full review, but I thought I would mention that there are only two days left in the ultra-short run of Paula Vogel's The Baltimore Waltz at Factory Theatre.  This is actually a student production (UC Follies), and Factory is also putting on a different student production of Cabaret this weekend as well, though the only day left for this is tonight!  I won't be able to get to that, but it is probably worth checking out.  I don't know if this is a compromise -- U of T quads are still a bit gun-shy of allowing people, particularly non-students, to attend theatrical events on campus, whereas the students are gung-ho on putting on plays again after so many years off.  And Factory decided to make the space available.  I know that I have been surprised that Hart House Theatre did not put on a full season, though it rented out its space to the Howland Company and they did some student play competition.  Here's hoping that this fall Hart House returns to normal.  There were just a few hiccups here and there in this production, mostly an actor jumping his or her cue just a bit.  But it really was quite well done.  The script does contain a reference to the famous Ferris wheel scene from the Third Man (also riffed on in There is Only Us by Zoe Ballering).  This director added his own touch with the cracked foreign doctor/quack being drawn directly from Kubrick's Dr. Strangelove.  (I checked the play and the stage directions make no reference to that.)  It was brilliant and quite appropriate (after the Third Man references).  The lead actress could just barely hold it together and not break (as they do so often in Saturday Night Live).  Anyway, I would strongly encourage you to check it out if possible (tickets here).  I'm still hoping to see a couple more Vogel plays, namely Hot 'n' Throbbing and Desdemona, A Play About a Handkerchief, but this was very good.

This weekend is going to be crammed.  At least the snow has stopped.  I am actually double booked the next two evenings.  I will likely swing by some art galleries this afternoon (after getting the groceries).  Then I am seeing Bill Frisell.  I'm a bit annoyed that the tickets say 7, but then it turns out it is actually doors open at 7 and the show will start around 8.  Given there is only limited seating, I'll probably need to turn up fairly early.  Frankly, I wish the show was starting at 7 or 7:30 at latest.  I might even sneak out at 9:45, depending on how things are going and how I am enjoying things.  If this was his quartet with Greg Tardy I would stay for the whole thing for sure, but it his trio playing.  Anyway, then I walk down the street to Cameron House to see Skye Wallace.  What's quite odd is that the ticket itself says 8 but then the website says 9 (so I assume the doors are 8).  There seem to be 2 opening acts, so I can't imagine she'll get started until 10 or even 10:30, which is why I decided to get tickets despite the conflict with Bill Frisell.  My understanding is that Skye is going to be playing at South by Southwest very shortly, so this is a bit of a warm-up concert.  

What's quite curious is that Sunday she is playing an acoustic set.  If I am able to talk to her at the merch booth, which is not guaranteed given that I am coming in late, I'll see if she is going to play Dead Things, Part II, which is one of my favourite songs (by her) but one I don't think I've ever seen live.  It would fit an acoustic show pretty well, I imagine.

Anyway, assuming the roads clear up from Friday's snow (it snowed all day!), I am heading off to St. Catharines on Sunday to see TorQ.  I'll most likely get most of the way through this book on COVID and transportation which I am scheduled to review.  I may also bring my copy of Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers, as it will fit in my coat pocket.  I should have a couple of hours to grab lunch and get ready for the concert.  There should be 30 minutes between the concert ending and getting back on the Megabus.  I'm supposed to get back to Toronto just before 7.  Fingers crossed!  Then Skye's acoustic set at Cameron House.  Again, I suspect this is doors opening, plus she has an opening act, so I don't think she'll be on before 9.  I don't like missing opening acts, but in this case I'm glad there is a buffer.

I probably won't report back until after this crazy weekend is over.



No comments:

Post a Comment