Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Victoria Day Outing

I tried pretty hard to make this a busy Victoria Day.  I started out at the gym.  It was supposed to close at 1 pm, but then they announced they needed everyone out by 12:30 to close at 1.  I get where they are coming from, but this definitely should have been communicated better.  I would have turned up a bit sooner.  In the end, I got in a reasonable workout but I would have liked another 10 minutes (and not have felt so rushed at the end...).  I also managed to get my hair cut.

I had decided a while back that I would watch Fellini's Amarcord at The Revue on Roncesvalles.  I don't think I've ever watched a movie there.  There was another 2nd run movie theatre I went to on Bloor (west of what is now Hot Docs, though I don't think it was the Paradise) in the 90s.  But I surely didn't go all the way to Roncesvalles. 

I had sort of hoped to combine this with a trip to MOCA, but only one of three exhibits is actually open.  The other two open next week, but I might as well try to make it on June 4, when MOCA will be free.  Since I wasn't going to be biking over to MOCA, then it made more sense to just take the TTC (even though I have been avoiding it), since Amarcord was going to end pretty late and the drivers out that way aren't great to say the least.

Anyway, the Powerplant hasn't reopened with its next set of shows, and the Textile Museum was also closed.  I'll probably go to the AGO next weekend.  In the end, I decided to go to the first set over at The Rex (Tim Posgate on banjo!) and then mosey on over to The Revue.  The first Queen streetcar was short turned, and the next one was quite delayed.  I thought I was going to miss the opening of the movie,* though ultimately I did make it with 10 minutes to spare.  (Unlike the total mess the TTC has made of the Gerrard/Carlton streetcar causing me to miss Shakespeare Bash'd staged reading of The Revenger's Tragedy -- I'm still pretty pissed over that.  If it hadn't just been pouring out, I wouldn't have been in the position of depending on the TTC when in most cases it is just thoroughly unreliable.)

Amarcord was pretty incredible.  Maybe not as "significant" as La Dolce Vita or 8 1/2, but certainly funnier and warmer than either.  I'm glad I made the trek out to see it, but in general getting over to Roncesvalles in too much of a pain, and I'm not going to make a habit of it!

I didn't get quite as much reading or writing done as I would have liked, but overall it was a pretty good day.


* I actually was 5 minutes late to Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 3, but this meant that I slipped in just as the last preview was starting.  Still, I cut it much, much closer than I would have liked.  I guess I am going to the movies a lot more often than I have in years.  I'm sort of looking forward to Wes Anderson's Asteroid City (mid-June) and the new Indiana Jones movie (late June).  There is actually a new Studio Ghibli film called How Do You Live? coming out in mid July, but no word yet on whether there will be a US/Canada release.


No comments:

Post a Comment