Wednesday, October 11, 2023

Sign to Chagall

This is another very good example of where a sign or banner actually gave me useful information about something of interest to me.  I was biking home from Robarts and saw a banner that said Chagall and the Bible.  This is an interior sign and not the banner that I was looking at, but it was similar.

I probably went by several times before seeing it, though I don't believe the banner was up in early May and June, but I could definitely be wrong.

I went home and did some internet sleuthing, and found that Wycliffe College at UToronto was indeed hosting a small art show on Chagall and the Bible.  The core information is here.  I was a bit peeved to find that the gallery was closed that Sat. for a private event, which seemed a bit uncalled for.  I also was not going to be able to go this upcoming Sat., as I will be coming back from Detroit.  However, they did have evening hours on Tues., so I swung by yesterday.

It is a compact but quite nice exhibit.  I'll just post a few of the lithographs that caught my attention.

Marc Chagall, Creation, ca. 1960

Marc Chagall, Ahasuerus Banishes Vashti, ca. 1960

Marc Chagall, Christ in the Clock 1957

Many of my photos didn't come out that well, and I do wish they actually had a small publication with all of these images.  They didn't have any on sale there, but I will poke around a bit and see if they are collected in one place (at a reasonable price!).

In terms of the remaining days to see the exhibit:

Friday,  Oct. 13: 2:00 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

Saturday, Oct. 14: 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Tuesday, Oct. 17: 2:00 p.m. – 6 p.m. and 6:30 p.m. – 8:00 p.m.

And then it's gone.  I may see if I can stop in one more time on the last day.


No comments:

Post a Comment