Friday, August 16, 2024

Missing Movies

It looks like work got the best of me, and I kind of dropped the ball.  On Wed. there was a movie I had kind of wanted to see at the Paradise in the Queer Cinema Club series.  This was called Saving Face (2004), which is about a closeted Chinese-American woman who finds out that her mother has secrets of her own.  I'm sorry I didn't make it there, as I generally enjoy watching movies at the Paradise, but it turns out that Robarts does have a copy, so I put a hold on that.  At the moment, Paradise is doing a run of movies celebrating music, so I could see Round Midnight tomorrow.  It's not a great movie by any means, but it does offer up an opportunity to see late-career Dexter Gordon.  I might go, but it isn't a high priority.  I think Saving Face would have been more interesting.  They are running Basic Instinct right after it, and in some ways that might be more compelling, but I'm still not sure I'd go.  At the end of the month (Aug. 30), they are showing Rocky Horror Picture Show and there will be a shadow cast doing the whole "routine."  I had a few chances to see this in Chicago when I lived near the Village North but never did.  Maybe I will go this time around.

It looks like yesterday was the last night to see Dazed and Confused for $5 at Carlton Cinema.  There are a few other things I missed out there including Repo Man and Heavy Metal back in the winter.  It looks like this week I could catch Magnolia for $5, and I might do that, but it isn't a super high priority, so I might work on some other things this weekend.

I wish there was an easy way to get in touch with the programmers at the Paradise.  I would really like them to do a double-feature to celebrate Geena Rowlands.  I am planning on watching Faces tonight and then A Woman Under the Influence tomorrow or Sunday (depending on whether I do go over to the Paradise on Sat.).  But it would be way, way better if they did it.  Also, they recently screened Nashville shortly before Shelley Duvall died, and I think they ought to run Altman's Three Women.  Again, I have a copy on request at the library, but I would certainly prefer to see it on the big screen.

I'm kind of fed up with TIFF at the moment.  They recently revealed to me just how stupid their membership policies are.  Because they get no money for retrospective screenings (because members scarf up all the tickets within minutes of them being announced), they are just showing them upstairs in the theatres that don't have enough seats.  Even non-fanatic members struggle to actually book a ticket, and for non-members who would actually pay for a ticket, they are shut out completely.  So bonkers.  I am definitely not renewing my membership under the current regime.

So for once, I don't really have a lot of confirmed plans for the weekend, but I am sure I will find enough things to do.*  If it weren't for the rain in the forecast, I might actually do a bit of weeding and tree trimming, not that I really am eager to do that, but it should be done.

Update (8/17): I guess I am just a philistine.  I got about halfway into Faces and had to stop.  I really dislike this movie, in large part because I would spend exactly zero time in the company of these boisterous drunks.  While they are much more on the depressive side, I suspect I'll feel the same way about the drug-addicted characters in Withnail and I, and I have avoided watching it for that reason.  I suppose I will try to force myself to get through Faces tonight, but I will never watch it a second time.  So far, I haven't liked the Herzog feature I have seen (Fitzcarraldo), though his documentaries are more appealing.  I pretty much always like Japanese films (with the exception of Ozu's Good Morning!) and generally Bergman, so perhaps I don't need to hand in my film snob badge just yet...)


* For one thing, I'll have to go back to Robarts.  I got off to a slightly late start leaving work, and I didn't get there until 5:40.  I knew they closer earlier on Fridays, particularly in the summer, but I assumed it was 6:30 or 7.  No!  They close at 6, so it was a completely wasted trip.  I didn't manage to get a single thing done there.  So frustrating.

I also still need to get over to the framers to have my Alex Janvier painting framed, but it is quite likely to rain, and I obviously don't want to risk it getting damaged, so I think I'll wait yet another week and hope the weather cooperates next weekend.  We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment