Friday, August 21, 2026

Computer workarounds

I have been moaning about how my hard drive keeps losing space, even after I moved at least 3 or 4 GB off it.  It felt like some horrible virus (or another Windows update, even though I have paused those).  I got so desperate, I downloaded something called WinDirStat that digs around and finds what is using up hard drive space.  It turns out that it wasn't Windows for once, but lots and lots of iTunes data, which is frankly ridiculous.  That is one thing that really ought to go away after a restart.  Anyway, I deleted a lot, though I probably will need to make a permanent link to that folder to keep pruning the temp files away going forward.

What I have not been able to resolve is how to get to the Girl Genius website through FireFox.  I kept resetting and clearing the cache, but there is something that it just doesn't like about that website, so I reluctantly have been using Edge just for that purpose, and then closing Edge.  I really ought to be able to figure this out, but haven't so far.  It turns out Disney+ is the exact same thing.  I cannot log in through FireFox, but there are no issues on Edge.  What makes this even more annoying is I have tried for close to a month to get my Roku to load Disney+ but it won't do it at all (even after a factory reset!).  It's probably something my son did.  This is annoying beyond belief (and Roku has probably the worst customer service I've run across yet), so I have given up and will watch the rest of Futurama Seasons 13 and 14 on the desktop in the back room.  But not tonight.

I was able to track down a lot of the missing Girl Genius web comics from a bunch of different hard drives, and that is consolidated now.  I even managed to find the Buck Godot e-books I purchased a long time back.  I do have a DVD with the full run of Dragon magazine, and that is a proxy for What's New?  But I really wanted the physical books (and these were completely ruined in the flood, and the pages completely fused together!).  I found a fairly cheap copy of #3 on Amazon, and then a seller with a pretty good deal on a lot of What's New #1 and 2, though this all has to be sent to Chicago (and at some point my wife will kill me...).

Honestly, I am still in a pretty deep funk about the loss of all this stuff, but it's slowly getting a bit better.  On the plus side, I was going to have to go through all that stuff anyway (and most of it is not really all that interesting), so half of the job is already done when I decide to downsize and move to a condo downtown.  But I need to get back to some other tasks now.

No comments:

Post a Comment