Wednesday, July 16, 2014

So tired, so far behind

Well, things didn't exactly go according to plan.  First off, we are in Toronto, but it has taken over a week to get home internet (and while it is probably for the best, I cannot blog at all from work, so I have made no updates in over a week).  If I had been a bit more organized and nearly done with packing, I probably could have made Gruesome Playground Injuries, but I just couldn't justify it.  Then I thought, well Sat. will be a tough day, but after the movers are gone, I can go to the theatre.  Astonishingly, the movers did not appear at all on Sat. (despite having been booked six weeks in advance) and on Sunday, not until 11:45 am!  Truly incredible, and so unprofessional.  This really made it a very close call to almost miss our evening flight to Toronto.  I will go into the details of the move and then the great unloading, which was in fact yesterday afternoon into the early evening.  It looks like nearly everything made it, aside from one small bookcase unit.

I finished Two Solitudes in Vancouver and The Tin Flute in Toronto.  Those reviews will be forthcoming soon, along with some other tardy reviews.  While waiting on the box with the books off the TBR pile, I signed up for a library card in Toronto and checked out Gunther Grass's The Tin Drum.  I'm about 1/3 through this.  I don't actively dislike it, though the central character, Oskar, is super annoying.  I certainly don't see Grass moving onto my list of favorite authors...

I'm slowly working through all the things that have to be done to re-establish oneself in a new place, and am getting fairly close on that front.  Registering for health care this weekend is the next big step.

I've even been fairly active on the cultural front, which was the main reason for the move out here.  I've been to the AGO twice, and saw two shows at the Toronto Fringe, with one more coming this week.  In a few weeks after that, I am booked to see King Lear at Stratford.  So far, so good.  Pretty soon I will be able to put together a proper post about my Toronto experiences, but I really have to sign off now and get through at least a few more boxes tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment