Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Toronto leaves changing

It's not like Toronto is that much further south than Kleinburg, but the leaves do seem to change a bit slower.  Sunday was actually a fairly clear day and I ended up walking from Bloor to Queen, mostly along Spadina.  I generally consider this The Annex or an extension of The Annex, but the folks in charge of naming neighbourhoods claim that The Annex is solely north of Bloor.  I was walking through Harbord Village, which was news to me.

I was somewhat curious to see that Harbord Convenience is still going strong, though they had far more pumpkins than flowers outside.  They were one place I could count on having flowers and being open reasonably late.  I bought flowers there for at least one and possibly two dinner parties (not that this was a common occurrence for grad students in my day!).



Anyway, it's a neighbourhood that I have some connections to, as I knew a couple of grad students living there when I went to UT in the early 90s.  We took a quick look there when deciding on where to live, but I decided, given what was actually available for rent, it might not be for us.  Almost always the units were divided with the basement unit being rented to a grad student.  It's one of those great what-ifs -- what if I had figured out a way to stick around in Toronto and had gotten on the property ladder in the 90s.  That's sort of still the driving force behind the novel I think about writing, though in fact the main character will only last an additional year in Toronto and will still be somewhat tormented by a different series of what-if questions.

In any case, here are a few shots of the leaves changing in Harbord Village.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment