Sunday, November 4, 2018

Back on the Bike Redux

After some further investigations, I'd say most of the problem with my hands is actually in the palms of my hands.  Anything pressing up against them still hurts a fair bit.  I still am having a fair bit of trouble with weights at the gym, but machines where I pull are definitely better than ones where I am pushing.  I did get to the gym Sat., and I think this week, I'll try to get there twice.  In any event, I am starting to think this isn't a life sentence, and that my hands will get better, though slowly.  I'll try to start going to physio this week, though I need to see just exactly what is covered by insurance.

I did get on the bike today in order to ride down to Queen St.  It was a pretty lousy day to try to ride.  It was chilly and the wind was fierce, especially coming back.  What I am finding is that anytime I ride over a crack or a bump, and my hands hit the handlebars, they ache. Not great, particularly given the really crappy state of pavement on the bike lanes in Toronto.  I wasn't super comfortable on the bike, though braking seemed ok, which was the main thing I was worried about.  I think I shall look for bike gloves with a lot more padding, but in the meantime I will probably ride over to Soulpepper tomorrow (to see about rush tickets) and then that will be it for a while.  I think it would be quite a while before I really feel comfortable riding all the way to work (and particularly with heavy traffic), and it will probably be spring before this really seems feasible.

In the spirit of trying to look at the glass half-full, I am happy to report that the bike racks in front of No Frills (which had been some of the worst in the entire city) have been upgraded and are actually pretty nice.  Here's a photo.


Also, I saw that they are basically done painting the new mural at Gerrard and Carlaw, and maybe half done on the Jones underpass.  Generally it looked pretty nice.  I'll try to remember to go by and get some photos (before the walls get all tagged up again).  So it wasn't the most productive day (groceries and a library trip and a failed attempt to buy new winter boots), but I guess it was ok, all things considered, though I should have read more, since I am falling behind.  My feelings about Sunday will probably mostly be driven by whether I can get into the Soulpepper show (and how well my hands hold up on the way there).

1 comment:

  1. Great...beautifull pictures and really helpfull for me, i find here about condo painters Mississauga. Keep sharing.

    ReplyDelete