Monday, January 6, 2020

Weekend Update

It was a fairly busy weekend, though, per usual, I didn't get through everything I had planned.  Curiously, Friday it was reasonably warm out, and I probably could have/should have biked to work, though I tend to avoid biking now, as it is so dark (and dangerous on Toronto streets) by the time I am wrapping up work.  In general, I am not mentally prepared to bike in the winter time (since my accident I am incredibly leery of riding if it is at all slippery or wet, though I suppose one advantage of the memory gap is that I am not terrified of riding in general, only when the roads are slick).  Also, I was enjoying reading Rushdie's Quichotte and felt like getting a bit further into that.  I did manage to make it to the gym in the evening, which was good.

Saturday, I had basically intended to go swimming, but I got up late, and then we took the tree down (I had taken the outdoor lights down right around New Year's).  We would probably leave it up a bit longer, but we have so little space in our living room.  I was pleased that we managed to consolidate at least 4 boxes of ornaments, though of course we have about two weeks to go until recycling pick up day.  The downstairs back room is still quite full of boxes, but it is definitely better than it was.


I have two boxes left to go through of what are probably toys that can be donated (or discarded), and then I can bring my son's bike in for the winter.  I'll probably leave mine out for longer, however.  While it was quite brisk (and not as nice as Friday), I decided to go ahead and bike downtown to make up for missing out on the swimming.  I ended up getting the groceries in the evening.  It was probably around this time that I found out that my piece had been accepted for Sing-for-Your-Supper on Monday, so the streak continues.

Sunday I also got up a little late, though this time around, I was able to get to the Regent Park pool and get my laps in.  I had thought that the movie I was interested in (Knives Out) was playing at 1:55 at Scotiabank, but when I finally got downtown at 1, I checked again, and the movie started at 12:55!  I'm just going to take this as a sign (between this and the Yonge-Dundas Square theatre only offering this as an overpriced VIP movie experience), and I will just wait to see this whenever it starts streaming.  I saw that they had started dismantling the skating rink in front of Union Station.*  I did manage to get some work done, and then hit BMV on the way home.  They totally ripped me off, but they did take most of the graphic novels off of my hands.  (I actually got in touch with the buyer at Seeker's Books, and he'll almost certainly take Musil's The Man without Qualities from me, but I have to wait until late January to bring it over.)

When I got home, I got laundry started and went off to the gym.  (I wouldn't normally do quite so much exercise in one day, but I knew I wouldn't be going on Monday.)  It was a fairly productive weekend, though I wish I had made more progress on the other boxes and worked a bit on the quilt (to say nothing of finishing up this jigsaw puzzle that I think I will probably ultimately just abandon).  As a bit of an aside, I am extremely delayed in posting some book reviews and a few other posts, and I didn't get them done over the holidays as I had hoped to do.  Well, they will just have to wait for another time then.

* I had somewhat unrealistic fantasies about going several times a week to really brush up on my skating (since the rink and the skate rental was all free!).  However, I only went once and I really felt ill-at-ease, and I didn't bother going back.  It probably would have been different had I grown up here, given the large number of free rinks in Toronto neighbourhoods.  It was certainly a bit harder to find decent ice when I was growing up in Michigan, though if I had really wanted to pursue it, I'm sure I could have.

Update: It took a couple of false starts, but I did sell the Musil and a William Maxwell LOA volume to Seeker's for $20!  That was way more than I was expecting, and I threw in Marten's Waste for free (as I was glad to get this creepy book featuring necrophilia out of my life).

No comments:

Post a Comment