Sunday, May 3, 2020

Why It Doesn't Pay to Be a Completist

Just a very short note on how I often try to listen to most CDs that jazz artists put out, though this is often impossible in the case of classical artists (where their complete works may run over 100 CDs!).  But then an awful lot of artists indulge in fairly lousy "with strings" CDs or, what is even more grating to me is jazz with wordless vocals over it.  This makes Donald Byrd's A New Perspective unlistenable for me.  I basically am a completist with Andrew Hill, but I almost never listen to Lift Every Voice.  I probably actually sold it off (back when this was an option), which was a pretty big step for me.

At any rate, I was streaming a John Scofield CD called Piety Street, which was an interesting mix of organ and guitar, but then there are gospel-infused vocals on essentially every track.  I just couldn't take more than a few minutes of this. 

Not really a profound statement but I did want to get that off my chest.
 
Fortunately, there is so much else to listen to, by Scofield and others, that I actually like.  Now that I am in the mood, I think I may go off and listen to some Andrew Hill (aside from Lift Every Voice!) and set Scofield to the side for the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment