Monday, June 28, 2021

14th Canadian Challenge - 9th Review - The Uncertainty Principle

Digging a bit into Michael Dennis and his poetry blog quickly led me to rob mclennan, another poet (and frequent blogger) also based in Ottawa.  He has a number of poetry collections, and I am currently reading and processing The Ottawa City Project.  However, today I am reviewing a shorter collection called The Uncertainty Principle.

The pieces are all extremely short, and are either short prose poems (some as short as a sentence and a hashtag (borrowed from Twitter)) or micro-fiction.  I don't think it really matters either way, but I am considering this as a work of poetry.

Not all of the pieces are humourous or droll; some cover more serious topics or are even melancholy.  However, the ones that grabbed me are the lighter pieces.

There is a running gag about a Twitter-like hashtag #IDon'tHaveFactstoBackThisUp, which is one way, I suppose, to pre-empt the users who insist on #Citations Please.  Naturally, this is applied to a number of urban legends, such as "Radium tastes like butttermilk" or "Winnepeg was founded by cheese moguls."

I'll just pick out a few poems I enjoyed to give you a sense of the collection, as it is essentially a mosaic of many small insights and images.

"If you don't eat your cookie, your fortune can't happen. ... I once had a cookie offer the same fortune three times over ... I knew the universe was trying to tell me something."

"When she was thirty years old, she discovered that all of her problems stemmed from a single flaw: she was wearing a bra three sizes too small."

"She declares, half-serious, that she wants a baby or a dog or a cat or an orchid.  I tell her a dog is out of the question." 

"I've wondered if I would actually want to live forever, and the only concern I have is memory."

These extracts may make it seem a bit more like a comic routine by Steven Wright than it actually is, but this is still broadly representative of The Uncertainty Principle.  There are a few reviews of this book, but I'll just link to this one from Broken Penci , which gets right to the point. 

No comments:

Post a Comment