Thursday, May 25, 2023

Spring-Summer Theatre 2023

I'm finding my calendar is getting pretty booked up again, though more due to music concerts and movies than going to theatre.  Also, Toronto Doors Open is tomorrow and Sunday!  I'm trying to map out a few things, probably starting with St. Matthew's Church in Riverdale and ending with the Fisher Rare Book Library on Sat. after the Bach concert.  I'd like to get to Toronto-Dominion Centre, the Textile Museum and St. Lawrence Hall on Front St., but this would probably all have to be on Sunday morning.  And I just remembered that I also promised I would hit Word on the Street this weekend to stop by the Porcupine's Quill booth!  I wanted to see the Exploring Ecothriller panel on Sat. at 11, but it turns out the main draw for me (Andrew Sullivan) is a moderator not a panelist and probably won't be reading, so I think I'll skip that.  I am more likely to try to make the Trillium Book Award for Poetry session on Sunday from 11:30-12:30.  (I should have enough time to see that, get over to the booths to do some browsing and then still get back to Riverdale by 2, but it will still be tight.  I'll have to see if I can somehow squeeze in those remaining Doors Open venues in the various gaps either Sat. or Sun. ...)  Anyway, let me put down a few theatre things I am thinking of squeezing in soon.

First off, I'm actually kind of avoiding the Theatre Centre and the Assembly Theatre (unless they actually relaunch SFYS as promised) because the east-west streetcars have been messed up so much.  I'll rethink this decision when the next phase of the streetcar rerouting hits in 6-9 months.

Tarragon:
She's Not Special - this weekend only (and tonight is a Black Out Night event).  I'm probably going on Saturday evening.

Theatre Passe Muraille:
Into the Woods by Sondheim and Lapine - June 1 - June 11

Factory Theatre:
Armadillos - June 3 - 24

Soulpepper:
Sizwe Banzi is Dead  - May 26 - June 18

(I highly recommend this show.  I saw it in Chicago years ago.  I'm taking my son to see it on May 31.)

Canadian Stage:
Shakespeare's Midsummer's Night's Dream is going to be playing this summer in High Park.  I'm fairly ambivalent about going out to High Park to see plays there, as it is so incredibly uncomfortable on the stone stairs.  Also, I've seen Dream many, many times, and I would normally pass on this, but I am subscribing to Canadian Stage for the first time in years and supposedly am going to get a free ticket for Aug. 1.  If that's the case, I would probably go.

In one of my next posts, I am going to scope out some of the theatre events I want to see in the medium to long-term, but I may have to recover from this weekend first!


No comments:

Post a Comment