Sunday, July 16, 2023

Fringe Patron Picks

If you go here, you can find which shows were Patron Picks and have one final show added today.  I have no idea if there are tickets or these are already sold out.

I will note that I saw 3 of these at this Fringe (Mail Ordered, Blake and Clay and Ms. Titaverse) and then Aliya Kanani last year.  I'm tempted to see her tonight, but I do have other plans.  In any case, all 4 of these are interesting shows (with Mail Ordered having a particularly good blend of audience participation with plants mixed in with real audience members -- to say more would just spoil things).  Also Good Old Days has one more matinee today at 2:45, and I think there are still some tickets for that.  

I actually spoke to one of the cast members of Good Old Days, Brianna Wright, while we were both waiting to go into Ms. Titaverse.  Ms. Titaverse was great, with one of the first songs, They Call Me Suplada, kicking it off in style.  I am not in touch with those cast members, though I did say hello at the opening night party.  If I were, I would recommend that they all get these necklaces...

Anyway, it was a good Fringe for me.  I hope next year is as entertaining.  I'm nowhere near as inspired by Summerworks (which seems to have almost completely abandoned traditional theatre in favour of happenings and workshops/lectures), though I'll probably see I am Your Spaniel, which sounds like it was developed through Buddies in Bad Times -- and really ought to be presented there rather than out at the Theatre Centre.  Lady M sounds like something I should see (a reworking of MacBeth focusing on Lady MacBeth), but I simply know that I am going to be so thrown off by the focus on this being a deaf-led production that I won't be able to immerse myself into it.  It's clearly my own limitations and hang-ups.  It also doesn't help that it's also showing at the Theatre Centre, and I am really trying to limit my trips out there until the Queen streetcar reverts to a more normal schedule (probably 2 or 3 years from now!!!).

No comments:

Post a Comment