Friday, March 1, 2024

Library Site Back Up

Technically, the TPL site has been back up for a couple of weeks, but it was pretty useless.  You still couldn't check your account info or track down where physical copies of books actually were.  The staff had been told these core features would be restored at the end of the month, though they, like most of us, were pretty skeptical.  However, I am glad to report that the site is back, more or less, though it is still very buggy.  It keeps timing out on different functions, particularly trying to place holds.  But I imagine it will stabilize fairly soon, though of course the latent demand to use the TPL site may keep crashing it for a while.

At any rate, I was over at Pape/Danforth just the other day, returning the Zora Neale Hurston short story collection, which I sadly didn't care much for, and I saw River Mumma, so I grabbed that.  Perhaps ironically, now that the site is back up, there are due dates on books again, though the library doesn't actually charge late fees, so it is a bit toothless.  Still, I will move River Mumma up ahead of Rushdie's Fury, so I expect to get to it reasonably soon.

I was having a lot of trouble putting a hold on Our Country Friends, though I see Pape/Danforth and Jones both have copies, so I probably should be able to snag it fairly soon, but now that due dates are "working" again, I might as well wait at least until I get through Swann and start in on River Mumma.

In terms of other things, I have one DVD out (Mike Leigh's Life is Sweet), which I will try to return after watching the film, maybe this weekend, Swann, River Mumma and the Keith Haring catalogue, which I have had out for months, so I will definitely try to get the Haring back in short order.

Anyway, this was good news for the people who really rely on the library, and hopefully there will not be any further attacks and denial of service!  The downtime was really a drag, even though it impacted me less, given that I have access to books from Robarts.

Edit (3/2): Because the TPL site was lagging so badly, I assumed that my hold on Our Country Friends did not go through.  In fact, the hold was accepted, but I wasn't able to "pause" the hold, so this is already on its way over to Riverdale, and I'll be needing to pick it up shortly.  I'll insert it somewhere into my new reading list, perhaps right after Lermontov but after River Mumma and Rushdie's Fury.

No comments:

Post a Comment