Tuesday, June 25, 2024

Not Quite What I Was Expecting or Hoped For

This phrase could apply to so many things...

Yet again I am so behind on the things I want to write about, but I'll just touch on a few other things at the moment.  I was out pretty late at a concert at Danforth Music Hall.  It was a double bill of The Afghan Whigs and The Church.  I think it is fair to say I don't really know anything about The Afghan Whigs and not much or as much as I thought about The Church.  

The doors were at 6!  I managed to get there at 7:30, which is relatively late for me.  I usually do try to see all the acts, even the opening acts, but I just had to deal with some work issues first.  There was an opening act, Ed Harcourt, who was mostly through his set by the time I took my seat.  The Afghan Whigs are a guitar-heavy outfit.  The vocalist's style is a bit shouty.  He was very disturbed by people taking video with the camera light on, and he told people several times to put the light out.  One interesting thing was that one of the band members (I think the keyboard player) left his passport behind and so got left behind at the border!  I didn't really know any of their material, but it was ok.  I may or may not explore their recent work on iTunes.

Finally, The Church got started after a fairly lengthy changeover.  I think it was 9:30 or so.  First off, they have borrowed the light show from Love and Rockets where the lights bore right into the audience.  In general, this causes a lot of people to give up trying to film the set, but it also means that I had to shield my eyes or look away from the stage for long stretches of time.  Not ideal.  (On that note, Love and Rockets is touring with Jane's Addictions in the summer and fall.  I thought they were calling it quits after the tour last year.  I'm leaning towards going, but I have to check the date and see if tickets are still left.  I don't think I would pay a scalper to go, esp. out to Budweiser Stage...)

On the positive side, the singer's voice seems to held up well.  Apparently, they have released a prog-inspired "concept album" called The Hypnogogue, which is about some brain-sucking device that helps (lame) musicians write new songs.  And then they followed this up with a second concept album set in the same universe called Eros Zeta and the Perfumed Guitars!  They played an awful lot of The Hynogogue during the concert, though only "Realm of Minor Angels" from Eros Zeta.  They held off until nearly the last moment to play "Under the Milky Way."  I had hoped to hear "The Unguarded Moment" during the encore, but instead they played a very long version of "You Took," which I didn't know at all.  Apparently, last year they were touring the States and they played concerts with two sets, and during those concerts they played "The Unguarded Moment" and a few more songs of Starfish and even a few more songs from The Hypnogogue.  Probably a bit too much of a good thing for me, as I am clearly not a die-hard fan.  I don't regret going, but I probably wouldn't have gone had I know exactly how the night would unfold.

I walked home from the concert and had just enough juice on my phone to check the hockey score, and learned that Edmonton had fallen short from their epic come back.  I have mixed feelings.  I mean I don't like rooting for Alberta in anything, but I do hate Florida (and Texas) even more, so in that sense, I wish the Oilers had won.

Then this morning I see that the Conservatives have taken an extremely safe Toronto seat in a by-election.  I think the best case scenario would have been one where the Liberals pulled off a super slim victory, but maybe that wouldn't have actually pushed Trudeau out the door.  I mean even this shocking loss might not do it.  He's certainly fallen into the trap of thinking he is indispensable, when clearly most people (including me) think he needs to step aside.  I'm really not looking forward to the next few years, particularly if Doug Ford pulls an early election (and wins!) and then PP takes over as Prime Minister, since he is such a piece of shit.  I'm very much back in my hating almost everyone on the planet funk.

And on that note, I guess it is time to go off to work.  I'm going to risk biking in and just hope I don't get caught in the rain on the way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment