Sunday, August 23, 2026

Trade War!

I guess it isn't really a surprise, but Canada and the US could not come to terms, even though the Canadian team had already given far too many concessions to the US side.  I know there are conflicting stories, but pretty much everyone believes the Canadian version, which is Howard Lutnick turned up pretty much at the last minute with a new set of demands, including trying to put limits on Canada's trade deals with other trading partners!  This is completely typical of Trump and his lick-spittle lackeys, and mostly is simply his way of trying to humiliate others.  As painful as it is (and it could get painful indeed, including with services, which would impact my job), I think it was the right call.  I so hope the GOP is pounded in the midterms (and of course I hope even more that Trump vanishes from the scene before the midterms from natural or unnatural causes...), but it is a long way off from them.  And truly I don't see any way for the US to get its house in order aside from a civil war that would actually open things up for meaningful reform of the Constitution (no electoral college, no 2nd amendment, major rethinking of the Supreme Court), which won't happen in my lifetime most likely.

I suppose it's just as well that I ran off to Iowa (and then Chicago) a few weeks back for my cousin's funeral, as I really don't think I will travel to the States until after the midterms and maybe not even then.  On the positive side, my step-brother is improving, so I don't think this will be an issue for future travel (as I was fearing for a while).  Still, it is frustrating not to travel to the States.  There are good reasons for me to go down to North Carolina (including an upcoming production of Stoppard's Travesties I might have checked out), but it is just not on the table for the immediate future.

No comments:

Post a Comment