Saturday, September 26, 2026

Updates on Flood Recovery (The Stuff)

So we finally had the overseer from the contractor that the insurance company wants us to use come over.  He agreed that the stairs also needed to be included, which probably means a small change to the claim, which I guess they are processing; I'll try to call tomorrow to see if that is working its way through the system.  I don't think I need to do anything.  They think they'll be here in about 3 weeks, and it will take 3-4 weeks to do the job.  So about 2.5 months from the flood, and we should have our basement back finally.  Fingers crossed.

I think I mentioned that fortunately, I had brought the musical instruments up.  I am very sorry that I tried to straighten up and took a milk crate of records downstairs, as they would have survived of course.  A lot of them were my wife's actually.  For some reason or other, I had moved one of her Duran Duran LPs (Seven and the Ragged Tiger) and a Power Station 12" single to higher ground.  I don't think she's going to end up replacing too much of this, but I dropped into a record store in Stratford and saw they had Power Station on vinyl, so I grabbed that.  I'll see if I see any of their other singles and maybe replace those.  She's extremely bummed out that this Nick Rhodes art book was tossed out.  I do feel terrible, though it was listed, and if she had paid more attention, I could have retrieved it.  Or when we were going through things the first time, she was so upset, she really didn't look through those boxes, and I ended up grabbing material (and scanning what was broadly salvageable...).  Of course, since it meant so much to her, I'm really sorry she didn't bring it upstairs after the move.  Well, there's always a lot of second guessing involved with these sorts of situations.

Almost all the CDs that were in the basement had been ripped (or I wouldn't have put them in the downstairs listening pile), though in a few cases it took a long time to track down where the files had gone!

I only just found Forth Inversion (Mike Murley and Bob Fenton).  It turns out there is another CD by the same group at the Toronto Reference Library though unfortunately it doesn't circulate.  Also, the Reference Library is undergoing all kinds of renovations right now, and that collection isn't even available, so I'll see about going in and listening to it in early Nov.

Other rarer CDs where I have turned up the rips are:

Kenny Burrell is Forever by Yoshiaki Okayasu (and also Ballade for the Night)

Rebirth of Three Blind Mice Records (2 CD set!) 

Toshiko Akiyoshi Just Be-Bop (with Charles McPherson!)

Chris McGregor and Brotherhood of Breath - the self-titled record and Country Cooking

Isao Suzuki Now's the Time (Live CD on Three Blind Mice)

George Crotty Chronotope

Bongo Records The Original Sound of Mali

Ambrose Akinmusire Prelude (to Cora)

Med Flory Go West, Young Man! 

And a double album (or rather two LPs on one CD): Duke Ellington's All American in Jazz and Midnight in Paris)

As far as the CDs I didn't rip, it looks like Myra Meford's For Love of Fire and Water and Hear the Light Singing.  These are CDs I picked up when I heard her and Ingrid Laubrock playing at a small arts venue in Toronto.  Most of her recordings are on Bandcamp, so I guess that is the easiest way to replace them.

The new Tafelmusik CD of 2 Hadyn symphonies seems to have been skipped over, as well as the ARC Ensemble Two Roads to Exile* CD.

I was quite surprised that I didn't rip Sviatoslav Richter recording of Bach's Well-Tempered Clavier.  I decided to just go ahead and replace this, and it should arrive relatively soon.


Even though I still held onto the somewhat damaged vinyl version of Hutcherson's Linger Lane (and , I saw that there was a Japanese import of the album on CD.  There was only one left, and the price wasn't too bad, so I ordered that as well. 

I'm still debating some of the urban (and architecture) books that were on the bottom shelf on the bookcase.  Some of them are in Internet Archive, but a few I'll probably replace where the price isn't too high (and the shipping to Toronto isn't too dreadful!).  So far I have ordered Downtown Chicago in Transition, but I'll surely order a few more.

I'll never be fully reconciled to losing this much stuff, but I am glad I backed up much of it, and that it is possible to replace a lot of it without too much effort or dosh, with a handful of exceptions, of course.

 

* If I truly didn't rip this, it does appear to be in at the UT Music Library, so I'll investigate that option shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment