Friday, June 19, 2015

The Move (t-minus 3 days and counting)

On the one hand, we have made very significant progress.  On the other, moving day is stressful no matter what.  I am torn between trying to box up a few more things and have the movers deal with them versus just taking them over in the week after the move.  And no matter how I think it will go, the day of the move, I'll be scurrying around, throwing stuff in boxes just to get it out of the way.  For instance, the desk hasn't been completely emptied out.  On the other hand, the downstairs file cabinets and bookcase have been.  I'll need to take part of tonight and tomorrow to box up the books upstairs.

Anyway, I think I can consider the basement a success.  It is down to maybe 12 or so relatively light boxes when it was well over 50 at one point, probably closer to 70 boxes.

Upstairs is looking pretty good, though I'll have to toss my clothes in a few bags just so the wardrobe is empty.  I do hope the movers can actually get them up and down the stairs without too many pieces breaking off (only a bit of a joke).  I guess we can ask that those be wrapped in the clingwrap stuff.  Anyway, it turns out that the downstairs basement stairs are so narrow that one of the wardrobes simply won't fit, and they'll have to try to bring it in through the back room in the basement.  It might be the same thing with the Christmas tree container, though I think that makes more sense, as it will be left in that general area anyway.  Fortunately, that is all that I think they are moving downstairs (aside from the bookcase that may or may not fit).  Most of the heaviest furniture stays on the main floor.

Tonight I am supposed to take the kids' beds apart and run them over in the ZipVan, and if there is still time after that, I can grab a few more boxes from the basement and perhaps the art work.  I haven't decided if that is a good idea or not.  I'd prefer to move them myself, but after the furniture is in place.  However, I don't really feel like renting the van again.  Once is enough.  I'm still not sure how well it is going to go trying to get it back in the alley and backed up in our parking space.  And whether there will be parking at the new place (though generally that hasn't been a problem).

Well, it will be over soon, one way or another.  I do wish this wasn't all happening at a time when work is hotter than ever.  I find I am torn in far too many directions right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment