Friday, December 4, 2015

Handicrafts

While it isn't something I indulge in very much, there is definitely something rewarding about being able to create something yourself instead of having it machine-made or made in a sweatshop in Asia.  I only wish I had realized quite how hard it would be to make a rug out of denim.  If I switched today over to cotton rags, I probably would be able to make another rug of the same size within a few months.  I doubt I will bother, however, as I have other things on my mind.

I still haven't broken out the sewing machine to do much more than a few test runs.  However, now that my father-in-law is gone, I have the space to set it back up again.

It really shouldn't take more than an hour or two to fix up the curtains the way I would like.  I know, famous last words.  That reminds me.  I have been picking up a few odds and ends at Michaels (a crafts store that opened up near work).  I should have picked up a seam ripper.  Oh well, another time.

I had a pretty good time at FabricLand, and I picked up this fabric to try to make a skirt for my daughter.  Once I get the hang of it, this should be a roughly 2 hour project.  It will take a bit longer than that on the first go-around of course, especially as I have decided it really ought to be lined.


I ended up getting twice the fabric I needed, so I'll do some other project with the rest and save some for quilting, though I don't want to get too far ahead of myself.

The other thing I am working on is one of those friendship bracelets.  There are a bunch of videos showing how they can be done on a round loom. 


It takes about 5 minutes to learn and 2-3 hours to do all the braiding (at least in my case there are many distractions).  This one is done. In fact it might actually be too long (for her thin wrists).


Of course my daughter wants three more.  I think I should be able to teach her over the weekend.  It will be something to keep her occupied.

If all goes well, I just need to buy some plain cotton backing and also some fabric for curtains in my daughter's room.

That will probably be enough craftiness for the season.

No comments:

Post a Comment