Saturday, August 18, 2018

Loose Ends Again

Well, the weather played a real number on my plans.  I was supposed to have folks over for a bit of a cook-out Friday after work.  I even got hot dog buns!  For a brief moment, it appeared that it would rain early but be done by 6 or 7.  It wouldn't have been ideal, but we could have gone forward.  Then the rain shifted back to cover the entire event.  I have to admit by this point, many people had already cancelled, and it was pretty much only the younger Millennial staff who would turn up, so it was feeling less and less like an event I wanted to host.  (And I was torn in the first place because Vieux Farka Toure was playing that evening.)  Virtually no one could make it Saturday, if I moved it, so I just cancelled the entire event.  I may or may not rebook in a couple of weeks, though I guess that is the long weekend.

As it happened, I actually straightened up a fair bit on the off chance that the weather would break.  This was Thurs. evening.  So I was dragging through work anyway.  It's not entirely wasted.  If I decide to get a cat or a kitten, I will need this area cleaned up anyway.  At least that is what I am telling myself.  I was really hoping that this package of bike lights would turn up, since I need to put them on my son's bike, but so far, no luck.

Anyway, I did stick it out at work a bit longer, then went to this Thai place on Queens Quay, then over to Harbourfront.  I caught two of the acts, including Vieux Farka Touré, who was amazing.  I'll write a bit more about that separately.  Anyway, the concert went all the way to 11, and then I made my way back to the subway.  I guess it was just as well it ran late, since the rain had once again messed up the subway and there was a suspicious package at St. George, so the police shut down the station for 2 hours!  Service was just reopening as I got to Bloor/Yonge, so you can imagine how packed it was and how grumpy people were.  Actually the subway was tight but manageable until we got to Broadview when it filled up all over again.  Then the Pape bus was so late that I ended up walking home.  Fortunately, the rain never really picked up.

I slept in pretty late, and indeed I think I will just skip breakfast and go over to an Indian buffet for lunch.  I certainly don't do that very often.  I think I will try to take it easy today, maybe reading and cleaning up more computer files.  I'll most likely get over to the gym tonight.  Tomorrow, I may end up doing a mini-cookout, or I may just decide it isn't worth it.  I'm fairly likely to get over to Withrow Park to see Shakespeare in the Ruff doing a modified version of Julius Caesar.  But I think in general I really ought to not push so hard this weekend.  I don't have any real deadlines (having met the TRB deadline and then finding out too late that SFYS was moving a week later, so at this point I can only shoot for the September event).  There will be plenty of time to gear up for the next big thing, whatever that is, later in August.

No comments:

Post a Comment