Friday, January 4, 2019

Time travel question

One of the pieces I was writing for Sing-for-You-Supper is actually a comedy that has time travel as an integral part of the plot.  I'm honestly not 100% sure it works (as a comedy), and I didn't attempt to plug all the logical holes that arise when you try to use time travel in a "realistic" way.  I was writing part of this right before a TorQ concert but still have lots of handwritten notes to type up and the ending wasn't finished.  In the end, ironically, I ran out of time (or rather the energy needed to stay up all night after finishing my first piece (The Visitation)), but it's not such a bad thing to have a solid start on a piece for February.

Interestingly (perhaps only to me) is that a more serious play I was working on at one point had one person trying to play a joke on another by pretending to be a time travelling version of his older self.  I think I've sort of come around to this idea that this is a pretty lame practical joke, though the bigger question is whether the play as a whole (with or without this joke) has enough dramatic interest for me to continue writing it.  At the moment, I would say not, but never say never.

At any rate, I have thinking a lot lately about how incredible it would be to go back in time and spend more of it with loved ones, who had passed on.  (And what a business opportunity if time travel was scientifically to say nothing of commercially possible!)  Of course, it might just be too tempting for people to go back and tell their loved ones to go see the doctor more and go for that check-up/X-ray what have you, and thus threaten their own timeline.

Would I have rerun this past summer a bit differently, making sure to go visit my father?  Probably, though given what I know now, I might have preferred to go two summers back (when I actually did go) but spend a longer time then.  And to bring a video camera, since my phone completely let me down (spoiling the video I tried to take).  Fortunately, it's not all bad news, since I did a video interview with him, probably in 2015.

But maybe I would be more tempted to go much further back to when my mother was alive and go visit her.  Of course, she would not even recognize me 20 years on, which might not be such a bad thing (in terms of not disrupting the current timeline).  Or I could visit my earlier self and say that I really needed to get on the train to Detroit a couple more times to visit my mom, even if I couldn't say why...

I wonder if people would mostly want to visit their family or key (positive) events in the own lives, or if they would be more interested in time travel tourism (checking out the 1960s or Paris in the 1920s or, for the hardcore, North America prior to Columbus).

I suppose it is a fairly interesting (if completely academic) question: if time travel existed, how far back would you go and what/who would you attempt to see/contact?  Feel free to add something in the comments.

Bonus points for not saying you'd go back and try to kill Hitler (or Stalin).


Edit (1/5) Speaking of time travel, I was amused by this comic - The Brilliant Mind of Edison Lee - along the same general lines as my recent work. 


What makes it even more amusing is that Canada runs its Sunday comics on Saturday (a hangover from the way the UK does things), so I'm seeing the cartoon a day before it will show up in the States.

While you will most likely have to wait until February to see (or read) my piece on time travel, I just heard that my other, non-time-travel, playlet The Visitation, will be playing at Sing-for-Your-Supper this upcoming Monday.  Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment