Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Back to Square One

Well, the great loosening lasted just about 3 weeks before the cases, particularly serious ones that landed people in hospital ICUs, spiraled out of control, leading to a Province-wide stay-at-home order (and naturally the promise of going back to the barber/spa was taken off the table).  I'm certainly very disappointed by this.  I stayed quite late on the last day before the order took effect, making the first pass through our Canadian taxes (with the US ones having been done about a week before that).  

As it turns out yesterday we heard that an employee in my division had caught COVID and had been in that day.  I did see him from afar though didn't talk to him (and he stayed behind a glass office door).  I think my exposure risk is extremely low, but I agreed to get tested today.  So I biked over and stood in line for a bit over an hour at the East York Community Centre for a drop-in test.  One of the more amusing moments was when a minivan pulled into the parking lot and 6 high school basketball players got out, not too dissimilar from a clown car emptying out.  I hope for their sake that no one has it, because I'd say the whole team is likely to have it if anyone does.

This was my first time taking the test (and it was certainly uncomfortable), though everyone else in the household had been tested before.  I'll probably have the results tomorrow, but I would be very, very surprised if I actually had caught COVID as it has been about twelve days since I saw that co-worker who did get it, and I have had no symptoms, in particular no loss of smell or taste.

What this does mean is it will be particularly challenging to stay in shape, as I don't like riding around for no reason (and the office is closed unless you have an extremely good reason to go in).  I did agree to drop by the office if any of the modelling machines need to be restarted, but I likely won't be going back until May.  It's a shame as I was starting to fit into those snug jeans a bit better...

I can tell it's going to be another lousy lockdown birthday, and I'm not going to even pretend to have any fun.  Most of all, I just don't see how the musicians and theatre artists can keep going with one more lost year.  (I guess in the States there is some return to normalcy, but here it's looking more and more like very late fall before things get back on track.)  I haven't done a very good job in terms of staying on top of digital performances (and I honestly haven't been blown away by the ones I have seen with a few exceptions).  But I'll try to pull together a post with the things I probably will get around to watching.

I'm kind of bringing myself down, so I think I'll just stop now.  Ciao.

No comments:

Post a Comment