Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Short Kennedy interlude

As I was thinking over books that I really would like to get to in the next year or two, so as to enjoy them before I am completely over the hill, someone left a copy of Raymond Kennedy's Ride a Cockhorse (the NYRB edition) in the Little Free Library in the front yard.  While I actually own a different edition, I did pull this out and read the intro.  However, this copy clearly belonged to a smoker, so I put it back after I was done.  The novel seems like quite a romp, with as much manic energy as A Confederacy of Dunces.  So I will add it to my short-term list and see if I can get to it by the summer. 



There's no question that Ride a Cockhorse is Kennedy's masterpiece, though he actually wrote 8 novels, most set near Holyoke, Mass., though The Bitterest Age is a WWII novel set in Germany!

I vaguely remembered that another one of his novels had almost "broke through," so I did a bit of digging and found that Lulu Incognito was a Vintage Contemporary title.  



Oddly enough, this isn't at Robarts, though a few of his other novels are in the stacks, including Good Night, Jupiter, as well as Columbine, which apparently features a hapless WWII vet who gets entangled with a precocious 13 year old (Leaping Shades of Lolita, Batman!).  There is a copy of Lulu in the Toronto Public Library, but only a non-circulating reference copy.  I've already mentioned how silly I think this for fiction, so no point in repeating myself.  Because it was a Vintage book with a pretty cool cover, I went ahead and ordered an out-of-print copy, even though I don't expect it will be as good as Cockhorse.  Who knows, maybe it will make it here around my birthday.

No comments:

Post a Comment