Saturday, May 8, 2021

Bogart Mini-Marathon

That may be a bit of an overstatement, but over the past month, we've watched The Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep and Casablanca. In terms of my personal favourite movies that Bogie is in, this covers all of them except The African Queen, which we'll probably get to in a few months.  I'm not sure if Bogart is my very favourite actor, but he's got to be in the top 10.

I was watching the Bacall on Bogart documentary that came along with Casablanca.  I had no idea that they were getting ready to make a 5th film together when he got quite ill and never recovered.  Obviously, a shame all the way around, and I would have been quite curious to find out if they would have struck cinematic gold yet again.

As it happens I own Key Largo, but haven't ever watched it.  I'll have to correct that fairly soon.  I am still waiting on To Have and Have Not to turn up at the library.

Here's a relatively short list of the other Bogart films I'll try to watch this year:

  • The Petrified Forrest
  • Dark Passage
  • The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
  • In a Lonely Place
  • Beat the Devil (I may have this on VHS still!)
  • The Harder They Fall (I'll try to wrap up with this, his final film)

I'm not as sure about We're No Angels, All Through the Night, They Drive By Night, The Big Shot or Dead Reckoning, but perhaps I can fit them.  It seems that the library has all of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment