Wednesday, May 19, 2021

More Movie Progress

I suspect I really would need at least 4 lifespans to read all the novels and science/ social science books I own plus keep going regularly to the theatre (whenever that reopens) and watch the great movies and stay on top of the worthy TV series (only a small fraction of what is out there but it still adds up).  For the moment, I am redirecting some of my spare time to movies on the weekend and Britcoms, and it seems an acceptable trade-off for the moment.

We've now watched all of the movies in the Pierre Etaix Criterion box set (all of which were new to me) and rewatched about half of Tati's films (with Playtime on deck probably in early June).  I admit that I didn't care much for Playtime on my very first time through, as it is close to plotless, but it grows on you.  (I wonder when Tiff Lightbox will program it again, or indeed if the original longer cut will ever resurface.)

Last weekend we watched Laura.  It worked better for me this time around, and I agree that it is one of the best noirs.  I watched Huston's Under the Volcano (by myself) and I'll likely also watch Huston's Wise Blood by myself next month.  If I can find my copy, I'll show my son The Dead (based on the James Joyce story), which was Huston's final film, though there is no real hurry.

In general we've settled in with the Fawlty Towers, enjoying it a bit more, though I found Communication Problems to be pretty excruciating as the guest with the hearing aid is just so over-the-top awful.  I find there is still a streak of cruelty in Fawlty Towers that always rubs me the wrong way.  To be honest, I am looking forward to Father Ted and The IT Crowd more.

I'm not entirely sure what we'll watch this long weekend, but perhaps Truffaut's Shoot the Piano Player, The Sweet Smell of Success (or The Apartment) and then The African Queen (or Gilda).  As ever, just so many great movies to watch, so little time...  Well, at least I can't say I have nothing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment