Saturday, February 25, 2023

Long-term and really long-term concerts (2023 version)

I managed to book the RCM concerts for the 2023-24 season.  I'm sort of in their casual subscriber category, so I am able to book before the general public.  (I believe tickets went on sale to the general public yesterday here.)  My main objective was getting tickets to Kronos Quartet's farewell tour in May 2024!  (I'm still toying with the idea of seeing them in another venue/city, but they haven't really put a detailed schedule out on their website, so I'm kind of flying blind at the moment.  I'll probably have to put some sort of a hold in my calendar or even take a vacation day, so that I don't inadvertently agree to travel on that day (not that I do much travelling for work).  I believe Angela Hewitt is performing in Jan. 2024, which is another concert I don't want to miss.  The others are a bit more negotiable...

Anyway, it was fortunate that I had checked my calendar before doing all this booking.  I vaguely remember that I already had tickets to some event in Nov. 2023.  As I was adding things into my cart at the RCM site, I added the Danish String Quartet on Nov. 3 (with a pretty interesting program which includes a Shostakovich string quartet and Schubert's Death and the Maiden quartet).  Something made me double-check and I had already bought a ticket to this concert!  So that was a close call.  Then the following day, Christian McBride is coming through with much more of a standard jazz show (than his Movement Revisited concert), and I added that to my list.  To top it off, there was so much demand for Depeche Mode in April, that they added a return date on Nov. 5.  My wife was able to score pretty good tickets, apparently because the April date soaked up a lot of the casual demand.

So plenty to look forward to, assuming we don't have another massive wave of Covid all over again.  Nov. is also when a Keith Haring exhibit at the AGO opens.  I find Haring a bit repetitive, but I'm sure I'll swing by a couple of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment