Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Minor Reset

I've been struggling with my work laptop which had been doing the screen-flickering thing for a while.  Then Friday night the screen completely died.  I went into work a couple of times over the weekend, and it still worked while plugged into a dock.  I very fortunately brought a mostly empty portable hard drive and backed up basically everything, except the Outlook pst files, since our company settings are such that it is quite hard to export messages to secondary pst files.

On Monday, the laptop was completely dead, even at the dock.  I was fortunate that the IT guys had some spare laptops and set me up with one right away.  Unfortunately, it is a newer model that doesn't work with my existing dock, so they ordered me one of those, which should turn up next week.  In the meantime, I need to remember to bring the power cord back and forth with me.  (I can almost guarantee that I will forget it once this week...)  I also really wish it had a touch screen like my old laptop.  C'est la vie.

Anyway, the main drag was that I had to reset a lot of passwords, since they were mostly stored on the old laptop, including for my Google account, which allows me to sign in and edit this blog.  It just would not take last night, but I've finally got it updated.  The main positive is that I can now sign on and edit the blog from my personal desktop machine, which I obviously feel less "guilty" about than blogging from a work laptop, even though I restricted myself to blogging outside of work hours.  So that's good, and I'll try to get a few of the shorter posts I have been thinking about up later tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment