Sunday, November 2, 2014

Second-run movie blues

I guess I shouldn't be quite so down about it, but it is much harder to watch 2nd run movies in Toronto that it was in the early 90s.  The Royal is probably my best bet, both in terms of what it screens and where it is relative to where I live.  I'm glad that Bloor Docs still shows movies at all, but I personally liked it much better as a second run house.   (That said, if Particle Fever ends up back at Bloor Docs, I would probably rush over to see it.)

I suppose I don't really get out all that much to see movies anyway, but here are ones that I might see about seeing:
  • Nolan's Interstellar (probably too much Matthew McConaughey for me to be willing to pay full price to see it, but it probably deserves to be seen on the big screen).
  • Cronenberg's Maps of the Stars
  • Birdman (might even see in 1st run)
  • Boyhood (coming to the Fox fairly soon)
  • The Skeleton Twins (ditto)
There are a few others of interest from 2014, like Chef or Listen Up, Philip, My Old Lady, This is where I Leave You or The Trip to Italy (with Steve Coogan), but those could just as easily be seen whenever they finally come out as DVDs.  They don't strike me as films that have to be on the big screen.  (And the new Bill Murray vehicle, St. Vincent, for some reason strikes me as one I'd only want to see at home.)  I don't even think the Corner Gas movie has been distributed, so that is one for 2015 (and probably home-viewing).

But really the truth is that until the kids are a bit older (or better yet out of the house), I am always going to be a bit constrained in what I can watch in a real movie theatre.  As it is, I indulge myself a bit too much.  I did, however, promise to take the kids to see Big Hero 6 next weekend, assuming no blizzards.

No comments:

Post a Comment