Saturday, July 25, 2015

Art crawl in Toronto

I don't get out to the art galleries nearly often enough.  I think a large part of the problem is that they don't advertise particularly well, the listings in the Toronto Star and Now are kind of sporadic, but mostly the shows only last a very short period of time (sometimes as short as 2-3 weeks, though more frequently they will be up for a month or so).

Unfortunately, I did miss André Kertész at Stephen Bulger Gallery.  What's unbelievably frustrating is that I was looking into photography at that time, but somehow this wasn't listed with all the Scotiabank photography material.  So I don't know who dropped the ball, but it should have been included in the listings somewhere rather than being treated as a completely stand alone exhibit.  In any case, there is another Kertész exhibition at the Corkin Gallery, so I should manage to get there on the way back home this afternoon.

There was some gallery way to the north, almost at the 401, with a few Botero paintings.  I wasn't crazy about the idea of going, but decided I might make the trip (more time to read Bruno Schulz).  It turns out that it is only open Mon-Fri 10-5.  How totally ridiculous.  It sounds more like a tax dodge than an actual museum/gallery.  I am so personally offended by this that I am going to scrub this place from my consciousness (and obviously not link to it).

What I will do is make a stop off at MOCCA to see the last exhibit there before it relocates to a new location (perhaps opening in early 2017 if all goes well).

I don't have any major plans other than that.  I may stop off at the Eaton Centre and possibly the AGO, and I'll probably stop off at work as well, though I mostly need to get some rest, as Sunday will be a fairly hectic day.  I am off to Ottawa to see the Chagall exhibit at the National Gallery and then see Arthur Miller's The Creation of the World.  I'm hoping to get some work done on the train,* as well as to write a short playlet (to get in training, since I've signed up for the 1000 Monkeys event at Red Sandcastle where you write an entire play in 24 hours).  While I will probably be completely wiped out that weekend if I happen to be completely inspired and wrap up my play a few hours early, I might just head back west on Queen St. to shower at work and go see La Dolce Vita at TIFF.  That's probably completely insane, however.  I'm still not entirely sure if Sing-for-your-Supper has settled back into a groove and it will be on Aug. 3 or not.  It would probably be better for me if it shifted to Aug. 10.  Anyway, I definitely have not done any of the creative writing I swore I would do this summer, so starting tomorrow, I need to get back in the saddle.

* I suspect this is a case where if the wireless craps out after an hour, like it did on the way to Montreal, I will actually get more work done, not less.


No comments:

Post a Comment