Monday, December 24, 2018

Countdown to Christmas

Only a few more minutes now!  Fortunately, we don't have the tradition where kids get one gift at stroke of midnight.  Instead, they have to sleep in and get gifts on Christmas Day.

The stockings are ready, and I have just three gifts left to wrap, so definitely manageable.  It will be a smaller Christmas this year (we were at the neighbors for a Christmas Eve bash, and those kids had lots of presents!), but I think that's ok.  It's the thought that counts, as they say (though kids never believe it).  Our kids have pretty much aged out of Christmas anyway (and I did tell my son that the bike he got was going to be the main present for the year).  My daughter still is pretty resentful that we lied about Santa.  I guess she is going to be one of those hardcore parents who always tell their kids the truth.  Sigh...

I have to admit in general, I am not feeling that festive.  In addition to my father passing away early in the month, we are under some massive deadlines at work.  I worked almost all day Friday and up until 1 pm today, despite these being my days "off."  In fact, I worked most of the way through the night last night, so I was very weary around lunchtime on Christmas Eve.  I finally tore myself away and went over to the mall.  I didn't really want to buy anything, but the gym is not going to be open on Christmas or Boxing Day, so this was the last opportunity for a while.  I didn't really want to go, but I'm glad I did force myself to stick to the routine.  After dropping by at the neighbors, I took a nap, then got up to read The Night Before Christmas with the kids.  It's one tradition that we do adhere to.  At one point years ago, I read Dickens' Christmas Carol to them, but that takes a bit more planning ahead and spacing it out, since it takes several hours to read it in its entirety.  Maybe I'll return to that next year, though somehow I doubt it will actually happen.

Anyway, Happy Holidays and best wishes for 2019!

No comments:

Post a Comment