Friday, December 14, 2018

Father at Work and at Play

While he had retired from the university several years back, my father was in the middle of a couple of papers when he passed away.  We were able to get his last notes and manuscripts off of his tablet and send them off to his co-authors, and hopefully these will be completed and published some day.

In truth, he did an awful lot of work at the kitchen table, but he did have a little work area in a back room.


This isn't too different from my set-up, though I do have more bookcases surrounding me.  Also, my desk directly faces an outside window, which can be nice or really distracting, depending on the situation.

Nonetheless, my father really ramped up his hobbies, particularly after retirement.  He had given up raising fish, but he was still growing orchids (one in bloom below).


He was an excellent potter, selling quite a number of pieces in local crafts shows.  He was very much into functional pieces, and his prided himself on the fact that his plates and bowls could go into the microwave and dishwasher.

We currently have a set of 4 small bowls (in constant use), a berry bowl and a teapot (not used much at all).


While we were wrapping things up at the house, I picked out five pieces that will either be shipped to me or brought over the next time the rest of the family visits Toronto.  I tried to chose a variety of styles and glazes.  It will be difficult to wait, but better that than having them get broken on the plane home...


Here are a few shots of the studio where he did most of his throwing, as well as his wood working.




He was serious enough about the pottery that he had a small kiln at home, and had a share in a much larger gas fired kiln at a workshop downtown.  As one can see, there is a huge amount of pottery to be sold and otherwise disposed of.  The family decided to leave this for another day.

While it wasn't a major sideline, my father also made pens.  Most of them were from wood (and my wife may still have one of those), though I personally found the acrylic ones to fit my hand better.  On our last visit, my father had the grandkids help make their own pens, using the lathe and sanding them down.  They still have them, and I told them that they have to take extra care of them now.  I probably had a pen at some point, but picked out a nice acrylic one from his stash.


Finally, my father loved music.  He loved listening to it and he loved playing it.  While we lived in Michigan, he primarily played classic guitar, but when he moved south, his interests shifted to bluegrass and old-time music.  He still played guitar, but more frequently he would play banjo.  He also made musical instruments (a much more specialized hobby).  He made guitars, banjos, mandolins and had recently started specializing in making cigar box guitars (a three stringed instrument!).


It was a very full life, with a good balance between work and recreation outside of work.  I see that I have not talked much at all about his work, including several books he wrote or edited, but that can wait for another time.  I had forgotten quite how involved he was with "good works," including serving for the United Way when he was still in Michigan.  This is a useful reminder to renew my annual donation to the United Way.  He also donated regularly to the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC), so I'll make sure to make a donation to them this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment