Thursday, September 5, 2019

Blast from the Past

I saw on CBC that there is a new exhibit (and a book) on the last days of Honest Ed's.  More info here.  I'm fairly unlikely to buy the book, though I may check it out if it ends up at the library.  I might check out the exhibit, which is up the street from the former Honest Ed's site at Weird Things (998 Bathurst St.) from mid-Sept. to mid-Oct.

Of the photos displayed in the CBC story, I think this was probably my favorite:


It is interesting that she got permission to shoot inside the store.  I was told to stop taking photos on one of my last trips, not that that prevented me from getting a couple of decent shots (posted back in Dec. 2016!).

While I am a bit sorry that Honest Ed's is gone, I never went in all that often, and it was incredibly rare for me to buy anything there.  Now I did spend a reasonable amount of time and money at Fabricland in the basement, but that wasn't really part of Honest Ed's proper.  Nonetheless, it definitely was a one-of-a-kind institution and Toronto is a bit more boring without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment