Saturday, September 30, 2017

College productions 2017-18

I realized that we have gone a few weeks into the fall semester, and I haven't heard much about the various UT drama clubs.  I am aware of what is going on at Hart House, though that doesn't precisely count as Hart House has a lot of student actors in their productions, but isn't truly a student company.  That said, I am starting to lean towards going to Hedwig and the Angry Inch this Thurs. (on alumni discount night) and probably The Crucible with my son later in the season.

At any rate, I was going to update this post, and I realized that the Theatre Coalition hadn't updated their events page.  And more than that, most of the individual websites are just not updating properly.  You have to poke around on Twitter and especially on Facebook to find anything out.  Not only do I think this is a lazy and incredibly discouraging trend (and one that ultimately profits corporations that already have too much sway), it really means these companies are moving further and further inward and are not that interested in connecting to the broader (non-Facebook enabled) public.  Maybe that doesn't matter for the student theatre companies, but even the UT Drama Centre has not publicized its events very well.

At any rate, it doesn't look like there is much of interest for me at UT this season.  One of the companies is doing Twelfth Night, which I've seen too many times.  VCDS is doing the Drowsy Chaperone, which is quite strange as WINDS did it last season.  (Sadly, WINDS has gone defunct, due to "internal conflicts.")  In the spring, UC Follies should be doing Stoppard's Arcadia, and while I've seen it several times before, I'm fairly likely to go again.  That's probably the only thing I will catch (not counting Hart House productions), unless the UT Drama Centre adds a really interesting alumni show in the spring, though it doesn't seem promising at the moment.

I mentioned briefly that for George Brown, I will see the shows in the spring repertory season -- The Provoked Wife and Brecht's Fear and Misery in the Third Reich.  I'm still undecided if I want to see the update to Candide, but it is usually still best (for me) to subscribe for the 3-show package, so I'll probably do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment