Sunday, September 23, 2018

MOCA reopens

Being a bit under the weather, I haven't been tracking events quite as closely as I normally do.  As it happens, this weekend MOCA reopens (formerly MOCCA).  And it is free.  I recall that I managed to get out to the MCA in Chicago when it had a big bash to celebrate opening in its new location (and while I don't like the MCA building at all, I do try to show my support from time to time).  So I'd like to try to make it out there today (it's open until 5 pm).  It will be a bit tight, but if I leave right after lunch, I should make it, even with a quick stop at Victoria College.  (Well, I should probably do it in the reverse order, since it involves less backtracking on the TTC, and it's not like I actually need any more books...)  I'm less clear if I am going to see my friend's show at 7.  I'll have to play that by ear.

I didn't go to MOCCA a lot, though probably 3 or 4 times, starting around 2015.  However, I did manage to catch the last three major exhibits: Vera Frenkel (quite atmospheric, but more of an installation with the gallery hosting a working bar), Douglas Coupland* and Dean Baldwin's Q.W.Y.C. (Queen West Yacht Club) which featured a boat inside the gallery.

I was trying to dig up some photos I took of the old MOCCA, but the only ones I could find (for now) are of the very apt installation Demolition Site by Jihyun Jung.

 

I'm not quite sure how often I'll go to the new MOCA.  It's a bit off the beaten path, though not quite as far from transit as I thought at first.  Anyway, I'll report back soon, assuming I make it there this afternoon.


* Or rather half of this exhibit that originated at VAG, since half went to the ROM, but the better came to MOCCA. 

No comments:

Post a Comment