Saturday, September 29, 2018

What's on at MOCA

So I made it over to MOCA last weekend.  I will say that they had done a good job of spreading the word, since it was pretty packed (I'm sure the fact that it was free helped!).

I was amused that they rated their own street sign.


The building is basically just a large multi-story site, and the museum takes up the first 5 or so floors.  I believe it used to be primarily industrial, and they have tried to open up the floor space as much as possible.


Because the crowds were so heavy, the wait times for the elevators were pretty intense.  I ended up joining the crowds who just took the stairs between the various floors.

I will say that this layout is going to favour big installations in the middle of each floor, as there really isn't all that much wall space for paintings.  That doesn't exactly thrill me, but it doesn't surprise me either.

Here was one of the main installations (I can't recall the name or the artist right now).


There was an interesting effect on the third? floor where all the windows were tinted, giving the outdoors a clinical yellow look.


There were some interesting video displays, though I didn't really have time to sit through them all (nor was there sufficient seating).  I thought the most droll was this pieced together video piece on the physics of cartoon animals.


I haven't entirely decided if I will go back and try to watch through the video installations from start to finish, but I might in a month or two when the fuss has died down a bit.  Regardless of whether I go as much as when it was on Queen St. W, I'm glad MOCA is back.

No comments:

Post a Comment