Thursday, April 2, 2020

On-line arts/theatre -- Early April edition

This will almost certainly need to be updated every couple of weeks.

I've plugged The Show Must Go Online a couple of times where they are working their way through Shakespeare one play per week.  I was very surprised when I signed on Thurs. at 3 Eastern and saw that I was an entire day late.  Apparently, due to the UK's National Theatre doing its streaming on Thurs., Roberts Myles is moving to Wednesdays, though I obviously didn't get the message.  I'm not entirely convinced I will tune in to NT, as the shows they've announced so far don't grab me.  The Guardian lists a few other interesting on-line options from the UK, and I'm sure a lot more will be added over time.

I haven't really been keeping up, but apparently Patrick Stewart is reading a sonnet a day, so I'll listen to them, probably catching up over the weekend.

Here is a listing from CBC of some more local options.

Several on the list look appealing but the standout is April 3 at 7:30pm ET when Nightwood Theatre Presents a Livestream Reading of All the Little Animals I Have Eaten. This link should be going live Friday evening, but I'll check on the Nightwood Theatre home page and see if there are more details. This is a production that was going to go up down the street at Crows' Theatre, and I was starting to look forward to it...

Mooney's will also be listing virtual theatre and other arts events and updating every week.

Now has a slightly different list, with a small featurette on the Ministry of Mundane Mysteries, which will be phone-based performance put on by Outside the March running in mid-April.  Convergence Theatre has a very similar idea.  I may sign up for both, but I haven't really decided.

I see that I just missed The Howland Company's on-line play reading group, but I'll try to set up a reminder to see what they are reading on April 27.  They also will be doing some improv murder mysteries, and I'll try to remember to tune into those as from April 6 to 10 at 8 pm at the company's Instagram Live.  However, if this means I have to sign up for or install Instagram, then I'll probably bail.

Some of these events are gone before I even know they are happening, and fortunately in some cases they are archived (particularly Shakespeare where there are no rights issues!).  Here are a series of monologues by (mostly) Toronto-based actors in lock-down mode called 2020 Quarantine Dream.

I'm working on setting up my own series of Zoom readings (potentially for late April, though not at the same time at the Howland Company!), and I will certainly circle back if this comes to pass.

Now, I have to go set an alarm for Nightwood Theatre tomorrow at 7:30.  Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment