Monday, August 8, 2022

Hot Hot Hot (Redux)

There really was no escape from the heat this weekend.  I do feel bad about running the AC, though with the fans going and not going in and out a lot, the house is staying reasonably cool.  It was supposed to rain at some point on Sunday, but it didn't.  Now we're just waiting for a thunderstorm today, and in fact I am working from home, which is extremely rare.

I went to the gym pretty early on Saturday, which was wise.  If I had been more interested in the current movies, I might have gone to see something.  It really was just too hot to work on the deck unfortunately.  So I spent a big chunk of the day sitting outside in the shade reading.  I finished up American Gods and passed that along to my son.

Sunday I did grocery shopping early.  It took a couple of trips, but I was able to go swimming at the Regent Park pool.  (I actually switched from jeans to shorts, which I almost never wear, but it was pretty unbearable biking with jeans.)  Then I biked over to the Gardiner Museum, which is free on the weekend through the rest of the summer.  

Sharif Bey, The Oviary, 2016

Then I dropped off and picked up a few more books at Robarts.  Then I biked home and rested.  I thought I had managed to give myself heatstroke!  Towards the end of the day, I was able to find places on the shelves for the books I picked up in Chicago.

One positive is that we managed to wrap up Slings & Arrows.  It was a great series, though there were a lot of things that would not be acceptable now, particularly humiliating the actor who played Macbeth and then letting the actor who played Lear terrorize the rest of the cast during rehearsals.  I thought Geoffrey was incredibly irresponsible in catering so much to the whims & desires of just one character (the dying Charles), and this made it a little hard to fully get into Season 3. Nonetheless, I'm glad to have seen all of it with my son.  I'll see how much of Red Dwarf 4 we can get through, and ideally finish up Boyhood and maybe Blade Runner and Men in Black.  I think we have timed out of everything beyond that.

At any rate, I really do hope it rains soon and the temperature drops.

No comments:

Post a Comment