Monday, August 1, 2022

Time Winding Down

I am a bit sorry I didn't get started watching movies with my son earlier, as he heads off to Ottawa Sept. 2 (and is spending a lot of time with his friends in the meantime).  I probably should have gone through Chaplin and Harold Lloyd a bit sooner.  I was looking over this list, and I don't think we'll get to many more of hem.  I've sort of prioritized the TV shows,* and I think we'll finish Slings and Arrows and Red Dwarf Season 3.  There's an outside chance we'll get deeper into Season 4, but only if we double up some nights.  We might finish up Boyhood, and I'm thinking we might try to watch Blade Runner, but I think all the rest of the 80s movies will have to wait for winter break or next summer.  Not sure if it would be worth trying to have him watch Ikiru or maybe get some bureaucratic experience first.

I'm thinking I might read Gaiman's American Gods on my short trip out to Chicago later this week, so I can let him take it off to college as something fun to read in his relatively limited free time.  I won't worry about the various follow-ups.

I am very, very out of practice, but I have kind of taken the basement back from my daughter (long story) and can start running the sewing machine again.  I probably cannot finish the half-finished quilt in time (not least of all reasons is because it goes off to someone in Mississauga who does long-arm sewing to finish it), but I can at least make a decent start.  And who knows -- maybe it can be mailed off to him.  That's what happened the last time, rather than me driving back to pick it up.

Of course I am also thinking about sanding the deck and staining it again while they are off in Chicago, but that requires 3 or 4 dry days (and ideally not so hot, which we really haven't had).  And perhaps a bit more motivation than I actually have these days.

It would be nice to finish one of these projects before I launch into yet another project (which I am not even going to bring up at the moment).  That's one of my biggest issues in not fully finishing up projects after they get to the 80% (or less) mark, and I either lose interest or run out of steam or both.  It's always more satisfying to start something new instead.  So I will try to do better this time.  Famous last words...

Edit (8/2): We're down to two final episodes of Slings and Arrows, and it looks like we'll push through next week.  (Not sure this will convince him to catch King Lear at Soulpepper or not.)  And only one more Red Dwarf left in Season 3, so we'll almost certainly get to that and maybe make a good start on Season 4.


* We did have a good run - all of Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Black Books, Father Ted, The IT Crowd, Slings and Arrows and a decent chunk of Red Dwarf.  (Somehow I forgot about Blackadder, which we also watched!)

No comments:

Post a Comment